4-31. BUTTERFLY VALVE REPAIR - cont.
Repair Replace damaged parts and all sealing components.
Barrel assembly, consisting of body, seal, butterfly and packings, must be replaced as one unit.
Assembly. Refer to figure 4-26.
(1) Apply lubricant to packing (6) Slide packing (6) onto shaft (8).
(2) Apply lubricant to packing (4) Slide packing (4) onto drive shaft (9).
(3) Position upper housing (3) onto barrel assembly (7) Rotate handle on upper housing as required
to mate drive shaft (9) with butterfly (10).
(4). Position lower housing (5) onto barrel assembly (7) Shaft (8) mustalign and mate with bearing in
lower housing (5).
(5) While holding upper housing (3) and lower housing (5) in place, install two bolts (2) and nuts (1).
Tighten nuts evenly.
(6) Turn handle on upper housing (3) and check for proper operation.
(7) Install butterfly valve in water system (para 3-4).
(8) Startup water system (para 2-13c) and check butterfly valve for leaks.