2-11. ASSEMBLY AND PREPARATION FOR USE - cont.
Assemble Hose Suspension Kits. Hose suspension kits are required to lift the hoseline above
obstacles such as streams, rivers, gullies or ravines. Each kit contains the tools and materials
needed to cross a span of up to 150 feet. Location of the hose suspension kits along the hoseline
route must be determined from the initial site survey
Assemble Tripods Refer to figure 2-24.
(1) Using available materials and manila rope (2) from suspension kit, construct two tripods
(1), one on each side of obstacle to be crossed. Tripods must be strong enough to support
filled hoseline and tall enough to keep hose above rising water and obstructions. Install
additional supports on tripods as required.
(2) Using driving head (3) and hammer, drive two anchor stakes (4) into ground about 15 feet
from each tripod (1). Anchors must be in line with, and leaning away from, both tripods as
shown Anchors should extend about 6-inches above ground when fully installed.
(3) Hang one tackle block (5) beneath each tripod (1).
(4) Thread end of wire rope (6) through pulley on tackle block (5) on near side of obstruction.
(5) Pull wire rope (6) across obstruction and through tackle block (5) on far side of obstruction.
Figure 2-24. Tripod Assembly