Figure 5-14. Rolling and Stitching Patch
(6) Apply one coat of 3985 cement to the re-
maining side of the second patch and one coat of
cement to the first (small) patch. Allow cement to
(7) Reactivate both cemented surfaces with
freshner No. C-3339 or MEK. Position the two
cemented surfaces together, centering the smaller
patch on the large patch. Roll and stitch
(8) Apply two coats of 3985 cement to area
cleaned around break. Allow the cement to dry bet-
(9) Apply one coat of 3895 cement to the patch
assembly. Apply to the underside of patch (with
small patch affixed). Allow cement to dry.
(10) Reactivate both cemented surfaces with
freshner No. C-3339 or MEK. Position patch on
break and press in place. Roll and stitch
(11) Apply one coat of 3985 cement around out-
side edge of patch assembly. Allow cement to dry.
c. Vulcanizing (Fuel Drums).
Prior to vulcanizing, aerate the interior
of the drum with compressed air and
check with an explosive meter (01575),
Model (05HCS) or equivalent.
(1) Position repair area in jaw
of cure unit so that repair area is
facing the heating element.
(2) Slip a sheet of RM58B cloth inside drum
immediately under liner patch. Place a second
sheet immediately over exterior patch. Place a pad
under the repair and close jaws of unit. Inflate unit
(3) Cure for one hour and 15 minutes at 300° F
(149° C) and cool under pressure for 45 minutes.
(4) Deflate unit bladder and remove drum from
(5) Suspend drum by one end and inspect in-
terior and exterior of repaired area.
(6) Remove all foreign matter, dust, flakes,
etc., from drum interior with compressed air or
wash thoroughly and dry.
All data on pages 5-19 and 5-20, including Figure 5-15, deleted.
5 - 1 8