(4) Inspect mechanical patch assemblies (7) for
deteriorated rubber parts, stripped threads, and
(5) Inspect kit for missing components.
(6) Inspect sealing clamps (5, 6, and 7, fig. 3-7)
for stripped threads and missing parts.
e. Pressure Control
(1) Inspect pressure control for broken or
missing dust plug and dust cap.
(2) Inspect pressure control for cracked body
and loose or missing capscrews and nuts.
(3) Report all deficiencies that cannot be cor-
rected to the proper authority on Standard Form
SF 368 (Quality Deficiency Report).
4-3. Preparing and Filling the Drum.
Select a site near the source of supply which is
level and firm as possible. Clear the site enough to
permit the drums to be conveniently lined up for
filling and to be rolled away after filling.
a Drum Setup.
Perform the daily preventive mainte-
nance checks and services listed in table
(1) Remove the dust plug from the female
coupling half on pressure control (fig. 4-2) and con-
nect discharge hose to the pressure control.
(2) Remove the dust cap from the main coupl-
ing half on the pressure control and connect hose
assembly to the pressure control.
(3) Remove dust plugs from the openings in
the coupler valve assembly and close the valve by
turning the handwheel clockwise.
(4) Install the 2 inch (5.08 cm) female coupler
of the coupler valve assembly on the check valve
(5) Install the main coupler of the hose
assembly in the 1-1/2 inch (3.81 cm) female coupler
b. Fill Drum.
Be certain the drum is secure to avoid
slipping or rolling during filling opera-
tion. Avoid spillage of product. If
spillage occurs cover the area with dry
soil to reduce its rate of vaporization.
Avoid getting product on body or
clothing. If clothing becomes saturated
with product remove the clothing im-
mediately and wash body with hot soapy
water. Do not allow smoking within 100
feet (30.5 meters) of the filling area. Be
certain a suitable fire extinguisher is
(1) Disconnect coupler valve assembly from
the check valve assembly adapter.
(2) Turn handwheel counterclockwise two
turns to partially open the valve.
(3) Open the valve assembly at the source of
(4) Start the pump assembly.
(5) Hold coupler valve assembly over a
suitable container for catching product.
(6) Depress and hold the FILL button (fig. 2-2),
until the product is dispensed from the coupler
valve assembly, indicating all air is purged from
(7) Turn handwheel clockwise until flow of
product from coupler valve assembly is stopped.
The pressure control will close when the
flow of product is stopped at the coupler
(8) Install 2 inch (5.08 cm) female coupler of
the coupler valve assembly on check valve
(9) Turn handwheel counterclockwise to open
(10) Push the FILL button on the pressure con-
trol and allow the drum to fill.
A slight flexing in the nose assembly
means the pressure control is closed.
(11) Close coupler valve assembly by turning
(12) Disconnect coupler valve assembly from
check valve assembly adapter. Install dust cap
over check valve assembly.