DURING ENGINE DISASSEMBLY
Measure and record exhaust and Intake valve lash.
Measure and record cylinder head bolt (nut) torque using the mark method.
Measure and record connecting rod and main bearing cap bolt torque using the mark method.
Measure gear backlash if the front cover is removed.
Measure and record crankshaft end play.
Inspect push rods for straightness and end button looseness.
Inspect valve tappets for defects.
PRIOR TO ENGINE REASSEMBLY
Pressure test cylinder head(s) for nozzle sleeve leakage and port and/or deck cracking if Magnaflux, Magnaglo or
visual inspection did not reveal cracks.
Pressure test oil cooler for leakage.
Measure cylinder head lower deck flatness.
Inspect the valve seat inserts for wear, cracks and looseness.
Measure valve guides for excessive wear.
Inspect valves for stem and face wear, face burning and cracks.
Inspect valve rotators for operation.
Measure crankcase deck for flatness.
Inspect crankcase deck for cracks.
10. Inspect cylinder sleeve counterbores for cracks.
11. Measure cylinder sleeve counterbores.
12. Inspect lower cylinder sleeve bores for erosion.
13. Measure lower cylinder sleeve bores.
14. Inspect camshaft bearings for wear and looseness.
15. Inspect oil gallery(s) for foreign material.
16. Inspect oil pressure regulating and bypass valves for scuffing and sticking.
17. Inspect turbocharger for oil seal leakage and wheel damage.
18. Measure turbocharger shaft end and radial movement.
PRINTED IN UNITED STATES OF AMERICA