(3) Slide support brackets (11), rocker levers (15), and springs (12) over rocker shaft (5).
(4) Attach retaining rings (3) to the ends of the rocker shaft (5).
h. Cylinder Head Assembly.
Lightly oil valve stems to provide initial lubrication.
(1) Install intake and exhaust valves (7 and 8, Figure 5-6), springs (3 and 4), seats (5) and compression
(2) Depress springs (3 and 4) and install locks (1).
(3) Ensure that the damper coil is located onto the bottom of the spring and that preformed packing (6) is
correctly installed on the intake valve (see Figure 5-8).
i. Cylinder Head Installation (see Appendix Figures 49, 50, 55, and 57).
(1) Install new cylinder head gasket (7, Appendix F, Figure 49). Ensure that it is positioned flat with all
(2) Set the cylinder head (16, Appendix F, Figure 50) in place. Ensure that it lies level on top of the head
(3) Oil the cylinder head studs and nuts lightly and tighten them progressively according to sequence in
Figure 5-9. Refer to paragraph 1-21 for torque values.
Figure 5-8. Intake Valve Preformed Packing
(4) Install pushrods (30, Appendix F, Figure 57).
(5) Install rocker shaft assembly. Ensure that the valve adjusting setscrew (18) ends are located in their
respective pushrod cups.
Figure 5-9. Torque Sequence.