(2) Remove oil pan assembly (see paragraph 5-21).
(3) Loosen bearing cap setscrews.
(4) Remove one bearing cap and separate bearing shell (5, Appendix F, Figure 52) from the cap.
(5) Remove top half of the bearing shell (see Figure 5-10) by pressing on side opposite the locating tag. Use
a sturdy stick; do not use a metal bar.
Figure 5-10. Bearing Removal.
(6) Inspect the bearing shell (5) and replace it as necessary.
(7) Rotate the bearing shell (5) on the crankshaft (2) until it locates with the tag in the machined slot.
(8) Install the lower half bearing shell (5) in the main bearing cap and liberally oil it.
(9) Repeat steps (3)-(8) for the other two main bearings.
To remove the rear main cap, remove setscrews (see Figure 5-11).
(10) Torque bearings to 85 lb.-ft. (115 Nm).
c. Thrust Washer Replacement (see Appendix F, Figures 49 and 52).
(1) Remove rear main bearing oil seal half housing setscrews (18, Appendix F, Figure 49) (see Figure 5-11).
(2) Separate oil seal half housing (20) from bearing cap.
Figure 5-11. Oil Seal Housing
(3) Remove bearing cap retaining screws (30).
(4) Remove the lower thrust washer halves (4, Appendix F, Figure 52) from the bearing cap (see Figures 5-12
Figure 5-12. Thrust Washers.