Install the injector pump (see paragraph 5-22).
Install the low and high pressure fuel lines to the injector pump.
Install the injector pump gear (see i above).
Install idler gear and hub (see e above).
Install timing case cover (see c above).
Timing Case Back Plate Removal (see Appendix F; Figure 49).
Remove the timing case cover and timing gears (see a, d, and f above).
(2) Remove the injector pump (see paragraph 5-22) and drive hub (see j above).
(3) Remove the securing setscrews (28) and studs (where fitted).
The crankshaft gear Is an Interference fit on the crankshaft. If removal is
necessary, use a suitable puller.
Lift the timing case back plate (27) clear from the camshaft hub and crankshaft gear.
(5) Remove gasket (23) and discard.
Timing Case Back Plate Installation (see Appendix E Figure 49).
Install the timing case back plate (27) to the cylinder block using a new gasket (23) and suitable jointing
Install any studs removed and secure with the setscrews (28).
Install the injector pump drive hub (see k above) and injector pump (see paragraph 5-22).
Install the timing gears and timing case cover (see c, e, i, and g above).
Camshaft and Tappets Removal (see Appendix E Figures 49, 55, and 56).
To remove the camshaft, it may be necessary to remove the engine from the
vehicle and place in a suitable stand where It can be turned over. This is to
prevent the tappets from falling out when the camshaft is removed. If camshaft is
being removed with engine on vehicle, attach suitable clips (when the tappet
Inspection cover has been removed) to each tappet to hold them In position when
the camshaft Is withdrawn from the block.
(1) Remove the engine from the vehicle and mount in a suitable stand with oil pan down.
(2) Remove the cylinder head cover, rocker shaft assembly, and pushrods (see paragraph 5-15).
(3) Remove the timing case cover and timing gears (see a, d, and f above).
Figure 5-37. Thrust Washers.
(4) Remove the fuel pump (see paragraph 4-43), tappet inspection
cover (4, Appendix F, Figure 55), and fuel pump operating
(5) Turn the engine over so that the oil pan is up. If engine can not
be turned over, lift tappets (7, Appendix F, Figure 56) to the top
of their locations and secure with suitable clips.
(6) Remove the oil pan, oil pump, and sump (see paragraph 5-21).
(7) Remove the timing cover back plate (27, Appendix F, Figure
49). This will show the camshaft and thrust washers (see Figure