(8) Ease the camshaft (8) out from the block and catch the thrust washers (6) as they come out of the recess
in the cylinder block.
(9) Withdraw the camshaft (8) (see Figure 5-38) ensuring that the cams and journals are not damaged.
(10) Lift tappets (7) from their locations (see Figure 5-39) or remove the retaining clips if the engine is still
positioned with the oil pan down.
(11) Examine camshaft (8) and tappets (7) for signs of excessive wear, surface cracks, pitting, or other
Figure 5-38. Camshaft Removal.
Figure 5-39. Tappet Removal.
Tappets and Camshafts Installation.
(1) Liberally lubricate tappets (7, Appendix F, Figure 56) with clean engine oil and return to their respective
locations. Secure with suitable clips (if applicable).
(2) Carefully install the camshaft (8) into the cylinder block, ensuring that cams and journals are not
(3) Before the camshaft (8) is fully installed, locate the two thrust washers (6) (see Figure 5-37) (one of
which locates on the dowel in the recess) in position on either side of the camshaft hub. When correctly
located, the camshaft can be fully installed and will appear as in Figure 5-40.
(4) Install the timing case back plate (27, Appendix F, Figure 49).
(5) Install the oil pump, oil pan, and sump (see paragraph 5-21).
(6) Turn the engine over so that the cylinder block top face or cylinder head (if fitted) is up.
Figure 5-40. Thrust Washers Installed.
Install the fuel pump operating pushrod (see Figure 5-41),
tappet inspection cover (4, Appendix F, Figure 55) (after
removing any retaining clips), and fuel pump (see paragraph
Install the timing gears and timing case cover (see c, e, and
Install the remainder of the engine components in
accordance with the instructions given for each in the
relevant part of this section.