(3) If there are cracks in the sides or the cover of the battery, replace it.
(4) If the cable insulation is frayed or broken, replace the cable.
d. Checking Battery Voltage With a multimeter.
(1) Connect the positive (+ ) meter lead to the positive (+) battery terminal and the negative (-) meter lead to the
negative (-) battery terminal.
(2) If the meter reads between 11.5 and 12V, the battery is okay.
(3) If the meter reads less than 11.SV, check the electrolyte level in the battery. Use a hydrometer to check the
e. Checking Electrolyte Level.
The electrolyte level must be kept above the plates in the battery or the plates
Do not overfill the battery. The electrolyte should not overflow onto the battery
cover when the cell covers are placed over the cells or equipment could be
(1) Remove the cell covers and check the electrolyte level. Add distilled water if the level is below the top of
(2) Use a hydrometer to check the specific gravity:
(a) If the specific gravity is between 1.250 and 1.280, the cells are okay.
(b) If the specific gravity is between 1.225 and 1.250, the cells are still in fair condition.
(c) If the specific gravity is below 1.150 in any one cell, charge the battery.
f. Charging Battery.
(1) If the battery does not hold a charge, replace the battery.
(2) If the battery holds a charge, return the battery to the battery box.
g. Checking Battery Cables With Multimeter.
(1) Connect a meter lead to each end of the cable being tested.
(2) Wiggle the cable.
(3) If the cable conducts a current, cable is okay.
(4) If the cable does not conduct, replace it.
(5) If any of the cables or insulation are frayed, broken, or cracked, repair them or replace them as
h. Battery Box Assembly (See Appendix E Figure 9).
(1) Thread battery cables (5) through grommets (13) and battery-box (10) and install grommets in battery
(2) Place battery (12) in battery box (10). Connect battery cables (5) to battery, engine, and ground
(3) Install retainer (8) and secure it in place with screw (11), washer (7) and wing nut (6).
(4) Install and latch battery box cover (9).
4-21. WIRES AND TERMINALS INSPECTION.
a. Ensure that all terminal connections are fastened securely (see Figures 4-2 and 4-3).
b. Check insulation for cracking, chafing, or fraying.
c. Ensure that all conduits are securely mounted to the frame.
d. Replace any damaged or worn parts.