(2) Remove screws (2, Appendix F, Figure 39), nuts (7), strainer (6), seat plate (5), and diaphragm (4)
from valve (3).
(3) Remove adapter nipple (11, Appendix F, Figure 38) from hose.
(1) Clean dirt and debris from inside of foot valve.
(2) Check the internal parts for wear and damage.
(3) Replace any damaged parts.
c. Assembly and Installation.
(1) Attach valve (3, Appendix F, Figure 39) to adapter nipple (11, Appendix F, Figure 38).
(2) Attach diaphragm (4, Appendix F, Figure 39), seat plate (5), and strainer (6) to top (3) with screws (2)
and nuts (7).
4-33. SUCTION HOSE ASSEMBLY MAINTENANCE.
a. Removal and Disassembly (See Appendix F, Figure 38).
The following Instructions refer to the suction section of the hose. They also
cover the disassembly of the extension section of the hose.
(1) Unlatch assembly hose (9) from side rack (4) and eye bracket (5).
(2) Remove foot valve assembly from adapter nipple (11).
(3) Remove hose clamps (8), adapter nipple (11), and coupling (7) from hose (9).
(4) Remove screws (1), nuts (2), lockwashers (3), side rack (4) and eye bracket (5). Discard lockwashers.
The most common hose damage occurs to the hose couplings or to the hose
around the coupling. In such cases the hose can be repaired in the field. The
damaged section of hose can be cut away or the coupling replaced and the
It may be necessary to cut the hose away from the coupling with a hacksaw.
The hose is reinforced with steel cable.
(1) Remove the couplings from the hose.
(2) Cut the damaged section from the hose with a hacksaw.
(3) Replace the couplings if they are damaged.
(4) Replace coupling if gasket is worn or missing.
c. Assembly and Installation (See Appendix E Figure 38).
(1) Slide hose clamps (8) over hose (9).
(2) Apply grease to barbed end of coupling (7), and the inside lip of hose (9).
(3) Press coupling (7) into hose (9) until it stops.
(4) Hold a strong 2X6 board flush against the mouth of coupling (7).
Do not pound directly on the coupling. This will bend or damage the coupling.
(5) Drive coupling (7) into hose (9) by pounding on the board with a heavy hammer.
Do not over tighten the hose clamps. This can crimp or cut the hose so it will leak.
(6) Tighten hose clamps (8).
(7) Follow steps (3) through (6) above to install adapter nipple (11).