b. When multiple layers of weld metal are required, each layer must be thoroughly cleaned before depositing
c. Ensure that all welded parts and assemblies are free from cracks and other imperfections that may reduce
the effectiveness of the part or assembly.
d. Ensure that weldments are free from slag, flux, weld spatter, and other impurities detrimental to the strength
and soundness of the weld.
e. Position work for flat welding whenever practicable. Aline butt-type joints having members of equal
thickness within 10% of the thickness of the members involved. Weldments must be free from overlays.
f. Undercut in weldments must not be more than 0.01 in. (0.25 mm) deep when its direction is transverse to the
primary stress in the part that is undercut. Undercut must not be more than A2 in. (0.79 mm) deep when its
direction is parallel to the primary stress in the part that is undercut.
Section IV. REAR AXLE MAINTENANCE
5-11. AXLE ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT.
a. Removal (See Appendix E Figure 33).
(1) Raise and support the rear of the semitrailer high enough to remove the wheels.
(2) Remove the wheels from the axle assembly (see paragraph 4-26).
(3) Remove hub and wheel bearings (see paragraph 4-25).
(4) Remove brake assembly (see paragraph 4-22).
(5) Remove brake chambers (see paragraph 4-23).
(6) Remove torque radius rods (see paragraph 4-30).
Use proper lifting equipment to raise and lower the axle assembly or personnel could be injured.
(7) Support the axle assembly with lifting equipment.
(8) Remove nuts (9, Appendix F, Figure 33), U-bolts (11), and spring hanger (10).
(9) Remove axle assembly.
(10) Remove screw (4), washers (5), nut (6), screws (8), spacer (13), locknuts (7), equalizer bearing (2),
equalizer shaft (1), equalizer (3), and leaf springs (12). Discard locknuts.
b. Installation (See Appendix EF Figure 33).
(1) Attach equalizer (3) to frame hanger with screw (4), equalizer shaft (1), equalizer bearing (2), washers (5),
and nut (6). Torque nut (6) to 500 lb.-ft. (678 Nm).
(2) Install leaf springs (12), screws (8), spacer (13), and new locknuts (7). Torque locknuts to 250 lb.-ft. (339
Nm) for the front spring hanger and 35 lb.-ft. (47 Nm) for the rear spring hanger.
Use proper lifting equipment to raise the axle assembly into place or personnel
could be injured.
(3) Lift axle assembly into place and support.
(4) Attach axle assembly to semitrailer with spring hanger (10), U-bolts (11), and nuts (9). Torque nuts to 300
lb.-ft. (407 Nm).
(5) Install the torque radius rods to axle assembly and frame hanger (see paragraph 4-30).
(6) Attach the brake chambers (see paragraph 4-23).