(7) Install the brake assembly (see paragraph 4-22).
(8) Install hub and wheel bearings (see paragraph 4-25).
(9) Install the wheels (see paragraph 4-26).
(10) Check axle alinement.
c. Axle Alinement (see Appendix F; Figure 33 and Figure 5-2).
The center point of the fifth wheel kingpin must be located within 1/8 in. (3.2 mm)
of the semitrailer's longitudinal centerline or damage to equipment could occur.
Before checking alinement, ensure that suspension components are not damaged
and that they are tightly secured to axles and frame hangers.
(1) Load the semitrailer to its rated capacity.
(2) Locate the kingpin centerline.
(3) Roll the semitrailer back and forth over a level floor to permit connecting linkage to position itself.
(4) Jack up the semitrailer.
(5) Remove the ladder assembly.
(6) Remove the landing gear (see paragraph 4-28).
(7) Remove outer wheels (see paragraph 4-26).
(8) Ensure that the semitrailer is level.
(9) Measure the distances A and B from kingpin to the forward axle. These distances must be within 1/16
in. (1.6 mm) of each other (see Figure 5-2).
(10) Measure the distances C and D between front and rear tandem axle.
(11) If the axles are still not alined properly, adjust the alinement with the adjustable torque radius rod (see
Appendix F, Figure 34).
(12) Install outer wheels (see paragraph 4-26).
(13) Install the landing gear (see paragraph 4-28).
(14) Install the ladder assembly.
(15) Lower semitrailer to ground.
Figure 5-2. Axle Alinement.