Disassemble Starting Motor (9G4339)
1P1855 Retaining Ring Pliers
a. remove starting motor
1. Disconnect wire assembly (2) from solenoid
assembly (1). Disconnect motor (Mtr) terminal
connector (4) from the starting motor housing.
2. Remove three bolts (3) and solenoid assembly from
the shift lever housing. Do not disassemble the
solenoid. The seals inside it are not serviceable.
3. Remove the negative (-) terminal nuts, wire
assembly (2) and washers. Remove six bolts (6) and
rear housing assembly (5).
4. Remove the bushing from the rear housing if
5. Remove washer (10) from the armature shaft. Lift
brush springs (8) and pull brushes up off the
commutator. Position the brush springs on the side of
the brushes to hold them in their holders.
6. Disconnect field winding leads (9) from brush holder
assembly (7). Remove the brush holder assembly.
7. Remove brushes (12) and negative (-) terminal (11)
from the brush holders.