16. Remove armature assembly (21) from the starting
17. Remove eight screws (24), pole shoes (23) and field
winding (coil) assembly (22) from the starting motor
housing. It may be necessary to use an impact driver to
remove screws (24).
Do not use a liquid cleaning agent to
clean the armature assembly, field
winding (coil) assembly or pinion
drive assembly. A liquid cleaning
agent can damage the insulation in
the armature and field (coil) winding
assemblies and would dissolve the
grease in the pinion drive assembly.
18. Clean the armature assembly, field winding (coil)
assembly and pinion drive assembly with mineral spirits
and a brush.
19. If the commutator is dirty, it may be cleaned with
No. 00 sandpaper. Do not use emery cloth.
20. Inspect all parts for wear and damage,