DISASSEMBLE CYLINDER HEADS
Valve Seat Insert
remove cylinder heads
1. Fasten a hoist and put the cylinder head in position
on tool (A). Use adapter plates (1) from tooling (A) to
hold the head in place.
2. Put the valve springs under compression with tool
3. Remove the locks from the valves.
4. Remove tool (C), retainer, spring, washer and valve
from the cylinder head. Put identification on the
valve as to its location in the cylinder head.
5. Check the valve spring force with tool (B). Spring
force must be 35 + 5 lb. (155 + 22 N) when the
length of the spring force is 1.715 in. (43.56 mm).
6. Do Steps 2 through 5 for the remainder of the valves.
7. Remove the valve seat inserts with tooling (D).
The valve guides are part of the
cylinder head. Measure the bore in
each valve guide .75 in. (19.0 mm)
from the outside edge on both ends
of each valve guide. The bore must
be .3745 ± .0005 in. (9.512 ± 0.013
mm). The maximum permissible
bore is .3760 in. (9.550 mm). Valve
guides worn more than the maximum
specification can be made to the
original size by knurling.