CROSS SECTION OF FUEL SYSTEM WITH DASHPOT GOVERNOR
11. Fuel transfer pump. 13. Camshaft. 14. Housing for fuel injection pumps. 15. Lever. 16. Governor housing. 17.
Load stop pin. 18. Cover. 19. Sleeve control shafts (two).
20. Inside fuel passage. 21. Drive gear for fuel
transfer pump. 22. Lever on governor shaft. 23. Piston for dashpot governor.
24. Spring for dashpot governor. 25.
Governor springs (inner spring is for low idle: outer spring is for high idle). 26. Spring seat.
27. Over fueling spring.
28. Thrust collar. 29. Load stop lever. 30. Carrier and governor weights. 31. Sleeve levers. E. Orifice for dashpot.
From fuel transfer pump (11), fuel under pressure, fills
the housing for the fuel injection pumps (14). Pressure
of the fuel in housing (14) is controlled by bypass valve
(12). Pressure of the fuel at FULL LOAD is 30 ± 5 psi
(205 ± 35 kPa). If the pressure of the fuel in housing
(14) gets too high, bypass valve (12) will move (open) to
let some of the fuel return to the inlet of fuel transfer
Lever (15) for the governor is connected by linkage and
governor springs (25) to the sleeve control shafts (19).
Any movement of lever (22) will cause a change in the
position of sleeve control shafts (19).
When lever (15) is moved to give more fuel to the
engine, lever (22) will put governor springs (25) in
compression and move thrust collar (28) forward. As
thrust collar (28) moves forward, the connecting linkage
will cause sleeve control shafts (19) to turn. With this
movement of the sleeve control shafts, levers (31) will
lift sleeves (32) to make an increase in the amount of
fuel sent to the engine cylinders.
When starting the engine, the force of over fueling
spring (27) is enough to push thrust collar (28) to the full
fuel position. This lets the engine have the maximum
amount of fuel for injection when starting. At
approximately 400 rpm, governor weights (30) make
enough force to push spring (27) together. Thrust collar
(28) and spring seat (26) come into contact. From this
time on, the governor works to control the speed of the