19. Inspect oil pump suction and pressure side pipes for cracks, end fretting, gasket and/or "O" ring failure. Inspect
screen for damage and restriction.
20. Inspect crankshaft for cracks on the throws and journals. Inspect journals for scuffing and scratching.
21. Inspect water pump for seal, bearing and impeller failure.
22. Inspect oil pump for seal, bearing and gear failure.
23. Flow test injection pump if permitted under injection pump service policy to determine if fuel delivery meets
specifications and if repair or replacement is required.
24. Test injection nozzles for orifice plugging, tip leakage and opening pressure. It is suggested that nozzles be
disassembled and cleaned or new valves installed or that nozzles be replaced with ReNewed assemblies See
NOTE: If nozzle life has been short and if inspection reveals metal chips in orifices, the injection lines (all)
should be replaced.
DURING ENGINE REASSEMBLY
1. Measure cylinder sleeve flange protrusion.
2. Measure piston ring gap.
3. Rectangular Rings: Measure piston ring side clearance.
4. Keystone Rings: Measure piston ring drop.
5. Measure connecting rod and main bearing to crankshaft journal clearance.
6. Measure intake and exhaust valve protrusion or recession.
7. Lubricate camshaft and face of valve tappets with Molycote "G-n" paste or Fel-Pro C-670.
8. Lubricate O.D. of tappets with oil.
PRIOR TO ENGINE START-UP
1. Pressurize lubrication system with engine oil to assure adequate lubrication. NOTE: Remove valve cover(s) and
check for oil flow to rocker arm assembly.
2. Pre-lube Turbocharger with 4 - 5 oz. of clean IH 30W engine oil.
3. Pressure test air induction system.
PRINTED IN UNITED STATES OF AMERICA