Pump from an outside source.
(1) Remove the 4 in. (10.2 cm) dust cap (C, Figure 2-3).
(2) Connect the 4 in. (10.2 cm) suction hose to thepump and set the other end in the water source.
(3) Close the discharge valve (A).
(4) Close the inlet valve (B).
(5) Ensure that the sprinkler valves (F and G) are closed.
(6) Start the water distributor engine (see paragraph 2-6
(7) Spray the fire.
Fire fighting shutdown procedures.
(1) Turn off the ignition switch (7, Figure 2-1) to stop the engine.
(2) Disconnect and store fire hose.
(3) Disconnect and stow suction hoses.
(4) Install dust cap (D).
(5) Ensure that sprinkler valves (F and G) are open.
Section IV. OPERATION UNDER UNUSUAL CONDITIONS
2-10. OPERATION IN EXTREME HEAT.
Lubrication. Refer to Chapter 3, Section I for lubricants to be used during periods of extreme heat.
(1) Ensure that the shrouding is free of debris and securely attached to the engine.
(2) Ensure that the radiator is free of dust and debris and is filled with coolant.
2-11. OPERATION IN EXTREME COLD.
Lubrication. Refer to Chapter 3, Section I for lubricants to be used during periods of extreme cold.
Cooling System. Add antifreeze (Item 1.1 NO TAG, Appendix D) to the cooling system. The antifreeze
should be added to give a 50:50 mixture with water in the radiator.
Pump and Water System. When the temperature is expected to drop below 32°F (0°C), drain the water
distributor tank, the pump tank, the tank collector box, and the plumbing lines.
2-12. OPERATION IN SANDY AND DUSTY CONDITIONS.
Dust and sand are very abrasive and will cause serious mechanical damage if not
removed from water distributor.
General. Before maintaining or disassembling the water distributor, remove all dust and sand.
(1) Clean all fittings and parts before lubricating them or checking lubrication.
(2) Clean and service the air cleaner and oil filter more often than specified (see Chapter 3, Section I).
(1) Clean all dust and sand away from fuel tank cap before filling the tank.
(2) Ensure that the tank air vents are clear and free of debris.