2-16. PREPARATION FOR MOVEMENT- cont.
Pack Flaking Box Assemblies.
Prepare hose segments for flaking operations by connecting all hoses into 1,000 ft hose lengths.
Fold Hose. Refer to figure 2-37.
To prevent damage to hoses, remove sharp objects from empty flaking boxes. Rocks and sharp
objects pressed against hose during packing may puncture hose.
(1) Remove rocks, dirt and debris from empty flaking boxes. Check flaking box for missing
thumbscrews, cracked or damaged frame and corrosion.
(2) Load empty flaking box onto cargo truck (refer to para 2-11h).
(3) Transport empty flaking box and hoseline packing kit to leading end of first hose segments to be
Components required to pack the flaking box are located in the hoseline packing kit.
(4) Screw nut (3) all the way onto eyebolt (2).
(5) Insert eyebolt (2) and attached nut (3) into hole in front wall (4) of flaking box (5).
(6) Secure eyebolt (2) to front wall with nut (1).
(7) Place leading end of hose (6) at left rear corner of flaking box (5) Leave about 3 feet of hose
hanging from rear of flaking box.
(8) Press hose (6) against left wall (7), then along front wall (4) of flaking box (5) as shown.
(9) When hose (6) reaches right wall (8), fold hose back across front wall (4) to left wall (7).
Folds in hose should be 1/2 inch shorter than width of flaking box interior. If hose is tight against
sides of flaking box, compressing hose with pullboard will be difficult.
(10) Continue to fold hose (6) in a right-to-left/left-to-right pattern until about 150 feet of hose has