(2) Remove wheel assemblies (see paragraph 4-26).
(3) Remove screws (1), lockwashers (2), hubcap (3), and gasket (4). Discard lockwashers and gasket.
(4) Remove outer bearing nut (5), lockwasher (6), inner bearing nut (7), bearing (8), and bearing cup (9).
(5) Remove inner stud nuts (18), hub (10), bearing cup (11), and bearing (12).
(6) Remove inner tire, brakedrum (13), deflector (14), and oil seal (15). Discard oil seal.
b. Cleaning and Inspection.
Dry cleaning solvent P-D-680 is toxic and flammable. Always wear protective goggles and
gloves, and use only in a well-ventilated area. Avoid contact with skin, eyes, and clothes,
and DO NOT breathe vapors. DO NOT use near open flame or excessive heat. The solvent's
flash point is 100 F-130 F (38 C -59 C). If you become dizzy while using cleaning solvent,
Immediately get fresh air and medical help. If solvent contacts eyes, immediately wash your
eyes and get medical aid.
DO NOT handle brakeshoes, brakedrums, or other brake components unless area has been
properly cleaned. There may be asbestos dust on these components which can be
dangerous If you touch it or breathe it. Wear an approved filter mask and gloves. Never use
compressed air or a dry brush to clean brake components. Dust may be removed using an
industrial-type vacuum cleaner. Clean dust or mud away from brake components with water
and a wet, soft brush or cloth. Failure to follow this warning may result In serious illness or
death to personnel.
(1) Clean all removed components and axle spindle shoulder with dry cleaning solvent (Item 7, Appendix D).
Remove any burrs with abrasive cloth and wipe clean with dry cleaning solvent.
(2) Clean and inspect bearings in accordance with TM 9-214. If any bearing or bearing cups need replacing,
replace all bearings and bearing cups.
(3) Inspect hub for cracks or breaks and replace it as necessary.
(4) Inspect brakedrum for cracks, scoring, pitting, or grooves. Check edge of brakedrum for cracks or
broken areas. If brakedrum is damaged, notify direct support maintenance.
c. Installation (See Appendix E Figure 27).
(1) Install new oil seal (15), deflector (14), brakedrum (13), and inner stud nuts (18).
(2) Install bearing (12), bearing cup (11) and hub (10).
(3) Install bearing cup (9), bearing (8), inner bearing nut (7), new lockwasher (6), and outer bearing nut (5).
(4) Install new gasket (4) and hubcap (3) with new lockwashers (2) and screws (1).
(5) Install wheels (see paragraph 4-26).
(6) Lubricate wheel bearings (see Chapter 3, Section I).
4-26. WHEELS AND TIRES MAINTENANCE.
a. Wheel Assembly Removal (See Appendix F Figure 27).
(1) Remove lug nuts (21) and outer wheel assembly.
(2) Remove stud nuts (18) and inner wheel assembly from hub.
b. Repair. Repair and service tires in accordance with TM 9-2610-200-24.
c. Wheel Assembly Installation (See Appendix E Figure 27).
(1) Attach inner wheel assembly to hub with stud nuts (18).
(2) Attach outer wheel assembly to stud nuts (18) with lug nuts (21).