Figure 5-4. Rocker Shaft Assembly Removal.
(7) Remove cylinder head (16, Appendix F, Figure 50) from engine block (14, Appendix F, Figure 49).
(8) Remove pushrods (30, Appendix F, Figure 57).
b. Cylinder Head Disassembly.
(1) Compress valve springs (see Figure 5-5) and remove locks (1, Figure 5-6).
(2) Remove compression seats (2), springs (3 and 4), seats (5), preformed packing (6), intake valves (7),
and exhaust valves (8). Discard preformed packing.
c. Cylinder Head Cleaning.
Do not scrape or scratch machined surfaces of cylinder head or cylinder head could be damaged.
Clean carbon from cylinder head.
d. Cylinder Head Inspection and Repair (see Appendix E Figure 50).
(1) Replace valve springs as necessary.
(2) Replace any worn valve guides (6 and 7, Appendix F, Figure 50). Press them out or use a valve guide
(3) Check for worn valves. Inspect them in their guides to ensure that the valve stems are worn and not
the valve guide bores. Replace any worn valves and mark them in case they must be removed again
(see Chapter 1 for engine specifications).